The Olmsted Firm started design plans as early as 1893 for this green space along Southern Parkway.
Then in 1897 the park was designated as the site for a memorial to the cycling pioneer A. D. Ruff. Ruff was a member of the League of American Wheelman and once cycled to Yellowstone National Park in 1893. Famed sculptor Enid Yandell designed and constructed a marble fountain and half circle stone bench named “Wheelmen’s Bench” for the memorial.
On October 8, 1897, a parade of 10,000 cyclists passed here to celebrate a new cinder bicycling path along Southern Parkway. Viewed by 50,000 spectators, parade began at Third and Broadway and ended at Iroquois Cycle Club. Many cyclists were in costume; ladies wore bloomers. Bugles and cannon fire marked the parade’s progress.
Key Features & Amenities
- 3190 S 3rd Street, 40214
- (Southern Parkway and Oakdale Avenue)
- 2 acres
- Facility Reservations
- 6 am – 11 pm