THIS SIXTY-ONE ACRE SITE WAS DESIGNED BY THE OLMSTED FIRM IN 1923.
It is complete with winding paths, picnic pavilions, and the only free clay tennis courts in the region.
The park land was formerly the country estate of political boss John Henry Whallen before it was acquired in 1921. The park plan was not fully implemented until the 1930s.
When the other Frederick Law Olmsted Parks in Louisville were closed to the black community in 1924, Chickasaw was the only one that remained open to them until the parks were desegregated in 1954.
Want to donate to the Chicasaw Park’s Clay Tennis Courts?
Key Features & Amenities
- Biking – Road
- Horseshoe Pit
- Louisville Loop Access
- Picnic Shelter
- Picnic Tables
- River Frontage
- Walking Path